1.28.2010

Pleasantly plump isn't so pleasant

Feeling fat? Yeah… I can relate. I have a genetic propensity to pudge. I come from a family of fatties. I always attributed it to being raised in the south, with a pretty bad diet. If you have lived in the deep south, you know of what I speak. If you have never spent time below the Mason-Dixon Line, let me explain southern cuisine and cooking for you: get a cast iron skillet, dump in a generous helping of Crisco and start throwing stuff in. Fried pork chops, fried chicken, fried okra, fried squash, fried potatoes, fried green tomatoes… you get the idea — southerners like fried foods! (Hey, even their SNACK foods are fried; deep fried Twinkies and deep fried Snickers bars are actually available.

As I grew older, and ate a little bit better, I stopped the massive weight gain common to other family members, but still found myself teetering around 200 pounds all the time at just over 5'10". That's when I decided it was not going to be easy -- beyond the issue of decades of disastrous diet, there was a genetic aspect that would affect my tendency to retain weight in my abdomen. Not insurmountable, but just another issue to be aware of.

A couple of years ago I had a huge wake-up call when I felt fatigued, lacked energy and just had that something's-not-right-here knowing. The doctor referred me to a Cardiologist, and in the cath lab they informed me that I had 2 major heart blockages: one was 90% and the other 95%. Two stents later and with some ongoing meds, I felt like a new man, but still had a very sedentary lifestyle and a big gut.
A couple of months ago I bought a treadmill and was horrified when the programmed workout for beginners was way too difficult for me! I was determined, so I kept at it, working up from a few short minutes of slow walking to the point where I can handle the beginners series of programmed workouts without having to slow the machine down or decrease the incline. I am not running yet, but my endurance, strength and general fitness is greatly improved. Alas, I still hovered around the 200 pound mark, despite the increased exercise.

My friend Ron, meanwhile, had lost a lot of weight. He started out with more weight than me, and was a little shorter in height, and I was hearing weight loss numbers like 40, 50 and 60 pounds! I learned that he was being coached by our mutual friend, Jan, so I asked for her help. She has started to assist me with my efforts to lose weight and I have been documenting it at http://kahugary.posterous.com/ When I weigh in next week, I'll post an actual, not-Photoshopped photo of the number on the scales. You and I will see whether the plan has resulted in any weight loss.

Ron and I will be hoping to offer encouragement, advice and inspiration for those of you who choose to join us on this journey to eat healthier, feel better, fit into your skinny clothes and live longer. We'll try to get Jan to add her experience and wisdom along the way. Get started and join us as we become the FORMERLY FAT!

Posted via email from Formerly Fat

No comments: