8.10.2005

Langley, or is it Lingle?

I posted my very elementary family tree online and got an email from a Pastor in Oregon who does genealogical research as a hobby.  He found info that might fill in a lot of blanks for me if it can be verified.  He wrote…

    Is there any chance that your Grandfather Charles Langley could have gone by the last name "Lingle"? 

    In my research I came up with a "Charles W. Lingle" being listed as the father of your dad. It may just be due to someone elses sloppy     genealogy research (which is what I would guess happened). What I found says that this Charles Lingle was born in 1873 in Indiana the son of Benjamin Lingle and Ruth Lindley. It lists your dad as being his son from an unknown marriage, with siblings Ethel, Gertrude, Julius, Pelham, Geneva, & Mary. 

    It also said he (Charles Lingle) had a wife named Stella Davidson, and they had three children Robert, Ralph, & Frances. 

This has me amazed. I never could quite figure out why things seemed to come to a dead end when we tried to trace my father's family, and now it is possible that there could be a different last name involved. I could have ended up named Gary Lingle instead of Gary Langley.  (Not sure how I feel about that. It is a bit like learning you were adopted.) 

Lingle is a fine name -- in fact, Linda Lingle is the current Governor of my fine State of Hawaii.  But how different would life had been with a different last name? Is the Shakespearean quote  true?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet."

    --Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

Names have meaning, significance. In the Bible a change of heart or destiny was often marked by a change of name. Would I have been the same person I am now with a different name? Perhaps a better person?

Funny thing is, the same situation exists on my Mother's side of the family. My mom's maiden name was Hartley… we thought. When I was a teenager the grandpa I had never met showed up, and I discovered that his name was really Hardee. Hardee, not Hartley. It was complicated, but essentially he had more than one family over the years, and in the one into which my mother was born he went by the last name Hartley.

Hartley/ Hardee / Langley / Lingle -- what's in a name, indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Great-Grandfather was an illegitimate child and was given his mother's name rather than his biological father's name. I really shouldn't have been a Silvers and we have no idea what we really are.