8.08.2005

The futility of vanity blogging

I read some statistic that said there are about 10 or 11 MILLION blogs active on-line. Another article estimated 32 miliion.

Thirty-two MILLION attempts to put some thoughts, some ideas, some concepts before the reading public, as if we might have a unique perspective the world needs to hear. Fat chance.

I did an experiment and started randomly clicking the little link at the top of many blogs… the link that takes you to some other randomly selected blog, and then another, and another. I hit several dozen, one right after another, and found content intriguing enough to pause and read on only 3 or 4. (One was, for example, a very SCARY musing by a guy from SIngapore who proposed a second holocaust targeting the Malay population of SIngapore before they overrun the country and pollute the gene pool. ?????)

Who reads these things, anyway? It is difficult to believe anyone does.

A little sociological experiment is proposed: If you actually stumble onto this -- either by accident or intentionally -- and read it, post a comment and at least say where you are from. I will be SHOCKED if there are any comments here in a week. Or a month for that matter.

Blogs are an exercise in vanity and futility.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know me so no need to tell where I'm from! :)

Yes, blogging is an exercise in vanity. But it's also a great way to form friendships. In the short time (five months) that I have been blogging, I have formed a circle of friends that we connect with daily. Maybe it's a woman's thing, I don't know. But I do know it's addicting and I love it! :)

You mentioned random blogging, I've done that also...it's a scary thing! There's some very strange people out there.

As for your comment you made that you'll be shocked if there will be any comments in a week......just so you know, I check your blog regularly. You'll be amazed how many people will stumble on across here and how many come here on purpose. Put a counter on your site and see how many hits you get in a day or week.

Peace!

Darrell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darrell said...

Gary, just wanted to let you know that I read this in Illinois, but Jason is right... your site is next to impossible to post a comment to! This is my 4th attempt. Let's hope this goes through. You may need to make some adjustments to your settings!

Anonymous said...

Finally got this to work, and it made repeated posts.