9.22.2011

The downside of Hawaii life?

When people learn that I live in Hawaii they have fantasies of lazy days spent lounging beneath a palm tree on a beautiful beach. Right. Those people have no idea about the cost of living here, that requires most people to work long hours, multiple jobs and barely get by. But I digress…

I am hoping to make a trip to Israel in January, one of those study/tours that pastors take to experience the Holy Land first hand. It is a great opportunity, and is even being provided as a scholarship, for which I am grateful. For most people on this trip it will cost them only a few hundred dollars: an inexpensive flight to the point of departure in New Jersey and some lunch and spending money. Being in Hawaii is a disadvantage on this one, as I have to obtain round-trip flights from HNL to EWR at a cost of over $1,000. One thousand-I-don't-have-dollars.

Add the awkward timing of those flights and availble connections, and it is possible that I may have to add one night in a hotel either before or after the Israel trip, which adds another couple of hundred dollars to the "free" trip.

This is one of those times I wish that Star Trek Transporter device was a reality. Beam me to New Jersey, Scotty?

Posted via email from Kahu Gary

No comments: